Quote of the Week

"Communication works for those who work at it."
~John Powell

Friday, November 26, 2010

Technical Writing Sample-Classification and Partitioning

The Classification and Partitioning of Laptops
After reviewing laptops at the Best Buy website (2010) I found they could be categorized as the following: 1) Personal, 2) Entertainment, and/or 3) Business.  The Best Buy website (2010) categorizes them as “every day,” “premium,” and “gaming.”  They can be categorized in this way due to the varying needs of laptop users. 
Three laptops that fit into the category of Business include: Sony’s model VPCEB26GM/B1, Toshiba model M505-54972, and Apple’s model MC373LL/A.  These laptops fit into this category due to a wide range of characteristics that appeal to professionals, from the type of processor, to extras like Bluetooth capabilities. 
I would partition these three laptops by the following features: computer hard drive size, software included with purchase, processor speed, and operating system.  These matter to me because of the volume of work I do and the nature of my work.  I need a lot of storage space for personal and business photos, clip art, typed documents, contact sheets, marketing action plans and design work, I prefer to work off of Windows 7 right now (although in the future I plan on purchasing a MAC if my employer continues to demand graphic design work from me regularly), due to the fact that I am still a student I want a laptop that comes with my preferred programs pre-installed and ready to go, and I need a laptop with speed for obvious reasons (like the amount of time my life demands that I am at my computer, I cannot be at the mercy of a program that doesn’t respond almost instantly to my commands).
From this exercise I learned that it is extremely difficult to divide subjects that include such a long list of characteristics, especially when diverse groups of users exist with such a wide range of needs and uses for the product.  I also learned how valuable it is to have an organized way of looking at the different features of such a widely used piece of technology in order to make it marketable to different audiences or users.
Reference
Best Buy. (2010). Best Buy. Retrieved from http://www.bestbuy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment