Quote of the Week

"Communication works for those who work at it."
~John Powell

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Do Virtual Gaming Worlds Reinforce Stereotypes?

From my perspective, avatars reinforce stereotypes within the gaming world.  These online cultures are a great escape for some but in that world the players take on a different identity, one that eliminates their weaknesses as they see them (which seem to be the same weaknesses their culture would identify as well).  For some, they are able to communicate differently once they appear different or take on a different physical form in the game.  This means that they too realize the characteristics or qualities associated with different images or symbols.  A woman is able to be more assertive when she takes the form of a man, for example.  These people are identifying with and conforming to the same stereotypes that knock them down in the real world.  This doesn’t seem healthy to me, however, I have never been a part of a virtual world.  I understand the appeal of role playing to escape everyday pressures, etc. but I do not think it is a healthy way of dealing with insecurities.  I am also concerned with the amount of time these individuals are gaming.  I think social interaction and therapy would be a nice alternative if these individuals are indeed suffering from personal issues, such as self-esteem or assertiveness.  That is not always the case I realize, but in the event that it is I question the effectiveness of an avatar in helping a person in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment